Skip Navigation


Marriage License

The Marriage in Maryland program (MiM) may be accessed at the below link:

  • The Marriage License Public Retrieval contains Marriage Records from 1996 to Present.
  • The Marriage License Public Retrieval will only return results for individuals who have been issued a Marriage License with a minimum effective date of today.
  • If you have additional questions or need additional assistance with searching Marriage Licenses, please see the staff in the County in which you are searching.

NOTE: Effective March 1, 2016, the License Department will no longer accept personal checks for marriage licenses that are issued here.

Application for a Marriage License

Obtaining a marriage license is a fairly straightforward process requiring about 15 minutes to complete. Below are certain rules that you may want to keep in mind when applying for a marriage license in Montgomery County, Maryland:

For Residents of Montgomery County, Maryland

If the marrying parties are both residents of Montgomery County, one of the parties to be married appears before the Clerk and gives, under oath, the following information for both parties:

  1. The full name of each party
  2. The place of residence of each party
  3. The state or county of birth of each party
  4. The age of each party
  5. Whether either party was married previously, and the date and place of each death or judicial determination that ended any former marriage
  6. Social Security Number of each party who has a Social Security Number
  7. Whether the parties are related by blood or marriage and, if so, in which degree of relationship

For Non-residents of Montgomery County, Maryland

If the parties to be married do not live in Montgomery County and are unable to appear in person to apply, they may apply for a marriage license using a Non-Resident Marriage Application(ms word). Contact the License Department for additional information (Phone: 240-777-9460).

Go to Top

Marriage Ceremonies

In 2006, over 5,800 marriage ceremonies were held in the Courthouse. Marriage ceremonies are performed by appointment only. If you wish to hold your ceremony at the Courthouse, please contact the License Department. You must obtain your marriage license before you may schedule a ceremony. The fee for the ceremony is $25.00 (cash only).

You must present identification such as drivers license or passport before the ceremony.

To schedule an appointment for a marriage ceremony, please contact the License Department (240-777-9460).

Go to Top

Certified Copies of Marriage Licenses

You will need certified copies of your marriage license to use them as legal proof of your marriage. Certified copies of a marriage license may be obtained from the License Department.

If you are getting married at the Courthouse, you can purchase it when you pay for your ceremony. If you are getting married elsewhere in Montgomery County, you can purchase the certified copy of your marriage license about a week after your celebrant returns your marriage information to the License Department. You may request the certified copy in person during office hours or send a request by mail. When you request in writing, please include in your request:

Names of the parties
Marriage license number
Date of the marriage
Self-addressed stamped envelope
Check or Money Order payable to the Clerk of the Court

The fee for each certified copy of a marriage license is $5.50.

For certified copies of Marriage Licenses before 1990 please contact Maryland State Archives at
410-260-6400 or  Between 1990 to 1993 you must contact Vital Records at
410-764-3038 or Vital Statistics Administration.

Go to Top

Foreign License Recordation

If a couple has been married in another state or country and one of the parties is a citizen of Maryland, the couple may record the marriage ("foreign marriage") at the License Department. The parties must provide a certificate of marriage signed by the individual who performed the marriage or an official certified copy of the marriage record. There is no fee to record a foreign marriage.

Go to Top

Expired Marriage License

In Montgomery County a marriage license must be used within six months or it will expire.

If you marry outside the court, the celebrant needs to fill out and return the Minister’s Return Form. This information is needed to complete the record.

Go to Top


Correction to a Marriage Record

Correction to Marriage Records must be requested in writing (along with supporting documentation, for example: birth certificate to prove your name is spelled differently than what is shown on your marriage record.) You may, for your convenience, use our Correction Request form () and mail to our office at 50 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Maryland 20850.

Go to Top

Montgomery County Circuit Court
50 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Maryland 20850
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM