Marriage licenses are issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court. There are 24 jurisdictions in Maryland. You must contact the County/City Court in which you have your wedding ceremony when requesting a license. The following information only applies to Montgomery County, Maryland Circuit Court:
- Marriage License applications may be submitted Monday-Friday, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm at the License Department.
- At the time of application, you must pay a license fee of $55.00 in CASH, VISA/MASTERCARD, or MONEY ORDER. Personal Checks and American Express are not accepted, and there are no refunds.
- The license must be used within 6 months of the effective date, or you will need to purchase a new license for $55. If you marry outside the court, the celebrant needs to fill out and return the Minister’s Return Form to complete the record.
- Replacement licenses can be obtained if needed for $10.
- If the marrying parties are both residents of Montgomery County, only one of the parties to be married must appear before the Clerk and give, under oath, the following information for both parties:
- The full name of each applicant (including full middle names) as they appear on their birth certificates
- The place of residence of each applicant
- The state of birth (State or Foreign Country) of each applicant
- The age of each applicant
- Marital Status: single, divorced, or widowed. If divorced or widowed, provide the date and State or Foreign County that ended ANY former marriage
- The Social Security Number of each applicant
- Whether the parties are related by blood or marriage and, if so, what their relationship is
- The License may NOT be used prior to the effective date, which is 6:00 am on the second calendar day after issuance.
- For good cause such as military service, pregnancy, or illness in a family, a Montgomery County Circuit Court judge may sign an authorization for a license to become effective immediately. Parties should come to the Court and speak with a representative from the License Department if they are seeking this.
- Please review your application carefully. Any necessary corrections should be made before the license is issued.
Marriage License Applications for Non-residents of Montgomery County, Maryland
If the applicants to be married do not live in Montgomery County and are unable to appear in person to apply, they may apply for a marriage license using a Non-Resident Marriage Application (MS word).
This form must be sworn to under oath and signed before a Clerk of the Court or comparable official where the applicants reside.
Mail this form along with a $55 money order payable to “Clerk of the Court,” to the License Department.
Individuals 16 or 17 years old may not marry unless:
- The individual has the consent of a parent or guardian, and the parent or guardian swears that the individual is at least 16 years old; or
- If the individual does not have the consent of a parent or guardian, either party to be married gives the clerk a certificate from a licensed physician, licensed physician assistant, or certified nurse practitioner stating that the physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner has examined the woman to be married and has found that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child.
Individuals 15 years old may not marry unless:
- The individual has the consent of a parent or guardian; and
- Either party to be married gives the clerk a certificate from a licensed physician, licensed physician assistant, or certified nurse practitioner stating that the physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner has examined the woman to be married and has found that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child.
An individual under the age of 15 may not marry.
Marriage ceremonies are performed by appointment only. If you wish to hold your ceremony at the courthouse, please contact the License Department at 240-777-9460 or in person. You must obtain your marriage license before you may schedule a ceremony. The fee for the ceremony is $25 cash or by Visa/Mastercard (American Express and personal checks are not accepted).
You will need certified copies of your marriage license to use as a legal document of proof of your marriage for the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), Social Security Administration, etc. You can make a request at any time for a Certified Copy of your Marriage License by completing the attached form and sending it to the License Department. If you are getting married at the court, you can purchase a certified copy of your marriage when you pay for the civil ceremony. The cost of a Certified Copy is $5.50; a Non-Certified copy costs $.50. If requesting by mail, an additional $2 mail handling fee must be included.
For certified copies of Marriage Licenses before 1990 please contact Maryland State Archives at 410-260-6400 or at msa.maryland.gov.
For copies of marriage licenses for marriages on or after January 1, 1990, contact Vital Records at 800-832-3277 or online at the Maryland Vital Statistics Administration.
Certified copies of Marriage Licenses from 1993 forward are also available at the Montgomery County Circuit Court.
The Marriage in Maryland program (MiM) is a public website where you can retrieve unofficial (non-certified) copies of older marriage records. Clicking on this link (https://jportal.mdcourts.gov/mimpubrtrvl/) will take you outside the Circuit Court pages. This page contains Maryland Marriage records from 1996-present. Please keep in mind it will only return results for individuals who have been issued a Marriage License with a minimum effective date of today.
Correction to marriage records must be requested in writing (along with supporting documentation — for example, a birth certificate to prove your name is spelled differently than what is shown on your marriage record). Simply complete the Correction Request form () and mail it to the License Department along with the supporting documentation. You must be a party to the record to request a correction. The cost for amending a recorded Marriage License is $165.
If a couple has been married in another state or country and one of the parties is a citizen of Maryland, the couple may record the marriage ("foreign marriage") at the License Department. The parties must provide a certificate of marriage signed by the individual who performed the marriage or an official certified copy of the marriage record. There is no fee to record a foreign marriage.
Fees may be paid by form of Cash, Money Order or Visa/MasterCard (Credit Cards can only be used when visiting the court in person). American Express and personal checks will not be accepted:
- Marriage License (Resident/Non-Resident): $55.00 – NO Refunds
- Civil Ceremony (if being done at the court): $25.00
- Duplicate License (replacement license prior to marriage): $10.00
- Certified License: $5.50 ($5.00 for the certification and .50 cents per page)
- Copy of License (non-certified): $.50
If ordering by mail, please include a $2 mailing and handling fee.
50 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Maryland 20850
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM