The latest news...
Bikesharing in Montgomery County
Montgomery County is now part of the regional Capital Bikeshare system. Bikeshare trips can provide quick, easy connections among home and transit, work, school or job training centers. Bikesharing makes the first-mile/last-mile (or 2 to 3 miles) connection to transit easier. It's an inexpensive, green way to get around!
Fifty-one bikesharing docking stations will be installed and operational by the end of the fall. Bikeshare docking stations will be located in Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Friendship Heights, Bethesda, Rockville, Shady Grove & the Life Sciences Center area. Stations are currently operating at the following locations:
- Philadelphia & Maple – 15 docks near the Takoma Park Community Center
- Maple & Ritchie – 19 docks in the heart of Takoma Park
- Colesville & Wayne – 19 docks near the Silver Spring Metro Station
- Fenton & New York – 15 docks near Montgomery College Silver Spring/Takoma Park campus
- 13th & Eastern – 15 docks in Silver Spring near the Washington D.C. line
- Wisconsin & Wisconsin Circle – 19 docks near the Friendship Heights Metro Station
- Bethesda &Arlington – 19 docks at Bethesda Row
- Montgomery & East – 11 docks near the Bethesda Metro
- Cordell & Norfolk – 11 docks in the Woodmont Triangle
- Norfolk & Fairmont – 11 docks in the Woodmont Triangle
Rockville / Shady Grove / Life Sciences Center:
- Frederick & Horners – 11 docks near the Lincoln Park Community Center
- Montgomery & Maryland – 15 docks in downtown Rockville
- Fallsgrove & Fallsgrove – 19 docks near Fallsgrove Village Center
- Traville Gateway & Gudelsky – 19 docks at the Universities at Shady Grove
What Is It? Bikesharing is short-term bike rental. You pick up a bikeshare bike from any on-street station and drop it off at any other station within the bikeshare network.
Join Up Now! Montgomery County's bikeshare system will be seamlessly integrated with the rest of the Capital Bikeshare system. If you live or work in another area with Capital Bikeshare you can join now and use the same key for County stations as for the ones in D.C., Arlington or Alexandria. So go ahead and join at www.capitalbikeshare.com - you can use those stations now and the new County stations in just a few weeks!
BICYCLE SAFETY AND EDUCATION TRAINING
Montgomery County and Capital Bikeshare want you to be prepared to ride safely. Bicycle safety training for bikeshare users is being sponsored by the County, with classes offered by the Washington Area Bicycle Association (WABA) and Montgomery College at the Rockville Campus. Classes are offered at very low cost to the general public (due to County sponsorship), and are free to participants in the County's grant-funded low income bikeshare program.
WASHINGTON AREA BICYCLE ASSOCIATION
For riders looking to comfortably and confidently share the road with cars, WABA's City Cycling classes provide useful skills and techniques to tackle whatever the streets dish out. At each class, students have the option of joining the Intro to City Cycling group or the Confident City Cycling group. Each group learns different bike-handling skills and goes on a unique ride on nearby streets. Students are invited to take the class twice to get the full City Cycling experience!
Costs: The fee is $10; free to JARC program participants. Advance registration is encouraged. A limited number of walk-up registrants will be accommodated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Montgomery College's bicycle education and safety course includes bicycle riding fundamentals, pedestrian and motorist traffic navigation strategies, bikeshare system tutorial, and map reading and routing instruction. Have fun while you learn how to identify lane positions, maintain appropriate balance, and communicate in traffic.
Costs: The 4-hour course is offered Saturdays and Sundays at the Rockville campus, beginning October 19th. The fee is $10 for Maryland residents and $40 for non-residents; free for JARC program participants. Upcoming class dates and times are shown HERE.
For any MCDOT service request or complaint, call 311
When dialing outside of the county, call 240-777-0311 or submit via their website.
For website comments or to report website problems or broken links, please email us.
This email address does not handle service requests or complaints.
Transit Services · Montgomery County Department of Transportation
Questions/Comments · Inside Montgomery County dial 311 · TTY: 301-251-4850
Outside Montgomery County dial 240-777-0311