YES, RIDE ON USES SOCIAL MEDIA !!!
Follow Us on TWITTER: www.Twitter.com/RideOnMCT
* Service Alerts
* Special Events
Like Us on FACEBOOK: www.Facebook.com/RideOnMCT
* A Look Inside Ride On
* Our Stories
* Your Stories: Submit your Best Ride On experience story to RideOn.CustomerService@Montgomerycountymd.gov
Schedule Changes Effective September 7, 2014
The following routes will be changed:
Routes 16, 25, 26, 43, 56, 58, 61, 70, 83, 90. Most routes include minor time adjustments. Click on the route number to see a PDF of the timetable. Click here to see a notice with Spanish. Paper timetables should be available within 2 weeks.
Effective Wednesday, October 1, 2014, Ride On will introduce service to Holy Cross Germantown Hospital. The existing Route 83 will be extended from Milestone Park and Ride Lot.
Review of Title VI Policies
Public Comment Period and Information Sessions
Interested persons are encouraged to participate as Montgomery County – Ride On seeks public comment on its proposed Title VI definitions, service standards and policies. The draft Title VI policies including the definitions of major service changes, disparate impact and disproportionate burden are posted on Ride On’s web page at http://www.rideonbus.com.
Written comments will be accepted through September 30, 2014 and should be addressed to:
Title VI Comments,
Ride On Transit Services
101 Monroe Street, 5th Floor
Rockville, MD 20850.
Alternatively, comments may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 240-777-5801.
Interested parties may also attend an information session / open house scheduled for:
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Silver Spring Civic Center - 6 PM to 9 PM
One Veterans Place, Silver Spring, MD 20910
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Executive Office Building - 6 PM to 9 PM
101 Monroe Street, Rockville, MD 20850
All meeting locations are accessible to persons having disabilities. Any person needing accommodation, such as an interpreter for the hearing impaired, is requested to contact Ride On by September 12, 2014 by phone at 1-240-777-5800, or by mail at Ride On Transit Services, 101 Monroe Street, 5th floor Rockville, MD 20850.
Fare Change Effective July 1, 2014
To keep Ride On bus fares consistent with rates approved by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA), the Montgomery County Council approved the following transit rate changes that begin July 1, 2014. The new fares are shown below:
- Decrease of cash or token fare from $1.80 to $1.75
- Increase of regular SmarTrip® fare from $1.60 to $1.75
- Increase of regular Express Route 70 SmarTrip® fare from $3.65 to $4.00
- Increase of Metrorail-to-Ride On bus fare with transfer with SmarTrip® from $1.10 to $1.25
- Increase of Metrorail-to-Route 70 transfer with SmarTrip® from $3.15 to $3.50
- Increase of Local bus-to-Route 70 transfer with SmarTrip® from $2.05 to $2.25
- Increase of Weekly or monthly pass transfer to Route 70 from $2.05 to $2.25
- Increase for U-Pass students riding express bus Route 70 from free to $2.25
- Decrease of Senior/Disabled cash/token fare on local bus from $0.90 to $0.85
- Increase Senior/Disabled SmarTrip® fare on local bus from $0.80 to $0.85
- Increase of Senior/Disabled Metrorail-to-Ride On bus with SmarTrip® from $ .30 to $ .35
- Increase of Senior/Disabled SmarTrip® fare on Express Route 70 from $1.80 to $2.00
- Increase of Senior/Disabled Local bus-to-Route 70 transfer with SmarTrip® $1.00 to $1.15
- Increase of Senior/Disabled Weekly or Monthly pass transfer to Route 70 from $1.00 to $1.15
- Increase in Kids Ride Free hours from M – F, 2pm – 7pm to M – F, 2pm – 8pm
Youth Cruiser SmarTrip Cards now available for purchase ($2) at participating Montgomery County Schools
Ride On is delighted that several county schools have accepted our offer to provide Youth Cruiser SmarTrip cards at their location. This makes obtaining the cards infinitely easier for our youth.
Ride On is transitioning to these cards, instead of school IDs, throughout this year. Beginning January 1, 2015, all school students should be using the Youth Cruiser SmarTrip cards.
Participating Schools as of August 28, 2014 are listed below. Students must attend the school to purchase a card there. We hope additional schools will join the program.
|HIGH SCHOOLS||MIDDLE SCHOOLS||ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS|
|Montgomery Blair High School||Argyle Middle School||Rock Creek Forest Elementary School|
|Gaithersburg High School||Eastern Middle School|
|Rockville High School||Kingsview Middle School|
|Sherwood High School||A. Mario Loiederman Middle School|
|Takoma Academy||Newport Mill Middle School|
|The Siena School||John Poole Middle School|
|Walt Whitman High School||Thomas W. Pyle Middle School|
|Winston Churchill High School||Silver Spring International|
|Tilden Middle School|
|Julius West Middle School|
|Westland Middle School|
Montgomery County Libraries Partners With Ride On As Outlets for Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® Cards Available to Ride On Customers 5 to 18 years of age
Beginning in June, Youth riders 18 years of age and under will be able to purchase a Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card at Montgomery County libraries. Proof of age and County residence are required to obtain a Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card. Riders or their parents must obtain the card in person.
Once riders have their Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card, they can add stored value or passes to their card at certain locations. For special savings during the summer, youth riders can purchase a special Youth summer pass with unlimited rides on only Ride On from June 1 through August 31 for only $18. Also, a Youth Monthly pass provides youth unlimited rides for only $11 a calendar month, a significant savings over regular fares.
Stored value can be added to the card for usage on Metrorail, Metrobus and other transit agencies that accept SmarTrip® cards.
In addition to Montgomery County Libraries, the Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® Card can be obtained at:
TRiPS Store 8413 Ramsey Avenue, Silver Spring 240-773-8747
TRiPS Store 17 Wisconsin Circle, Friendship Heights 240-773-8747
Treasury Division 255 Rockville Pike, Suite L-15, Rockville 240-777-8930
All Montgomery County Libraries
Select Schools (see list above)
For more information such as a list of retail locations, FAQ’s, etc. click here and scroll down to Monthly Youth Cruiser Pass.
Notice of Public Hearing on Proposed Ride On Fare Charges (Starting July 1, 2014)
The Council hereby notifies the general public that it will receive testimony on potential changes to transportation fees, charges and fares on April 22, 2014. The proposed fare changes will keep the County fares in line with the regional fares set by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). WMATA has advertised for public comment a wide range of fares that it will consider for its FY15 budget. Public comment on the proposed changes for Ride On fares is solicited on April 22, 2014 at 1:30 pm, Council Office Building, 100 Maryland Avenue, 3rd floor hearing room, Rockville, Maryland, for the following changes in fares:
- Proposed decrease of cash or token fare from $1.80 to $1.75
- Proposed increase of regular SmarTrip fare from $1.60 to $1.75
- Proposed increase of regular Express Route 70 SmarTrip fare from $3.65 to $4.00
- Proposed increase of Metrorail-to-Ride On bus fare with transfer with SmarTrip from $1.10 to $1.25
- Proposed increase of Metrorail-to-Route 70 transfer with SmarTrip from $3.15 to $3.50
- Proposed increase of Local bus-to-Route 70 transfer with SmarTrip from $2.05 to $2.25
- Proposed increase of Weekly or monthly pass transfer to Route 70 from $2.05 to $2.25
- Proposed increase for U-Pass students riding express bus Route 70 from free to $2.25
- Proposed decrease of Senior/Disabled cash/token fare on local bus from $0.90 to $0.85
- Proposed increase Senior/Disabled SmarTrip fare on local bus from $0.80 to $0.85
- Proposed increase of Senior/Disabled Metrorail-to-Ride On bus with SmarTrip from $.30 to$ .35
- Proposed increase of Senior/Disabled SmarTrip fare on Express Route 70 from $1.80 to $2.00
- Proposed increase of Senior/Disabled Local bus-to-Route 70 transfer with SmarTrip $1.00 to $1.15
- Proposed increase of Senior/Disabled Weekly or monthly pass transfer to Route 70 from $1.00 to $1.15
- Proposed increase in Kids Ride Free hours from M-F 2pm to 7pm to M-F 2pm to 8pm
Individuals and representatives of organizations who would like to speak at the public hearing are requested to call 240-777-7803 on or before April 21, 2014 by 12 noon to register to speak. Please provide a name, address, telephone number, and organization, if any. Sign language interpreter services will be provided only upon request with notice as far in advance as possible but not less than 72 hours prior to the date of the hearing. Large print format is also available upon request. Comments may be written, faxed or e-mailed on the proposed Ride On Fare Changes to the Montgomery County Council by the close of business on May 1, 2014.
Send your comments to:
Montgomery County Council, 100 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Maryland 20850
(240) 777-7900 (voice) / (240) 777-7888 (fax) / (240) 777-7914 (TTY)
Ride On to Change Schedules on Two Routes Starting Monday, January 13, 2014
These two Ride On Routes will have changes effective Monday, January 13, 2014:
Route 94 NEW SERVICE Clarksburg to Germantown MARC Rail Station
This new route connects Clarksburg to MARC Commuter Service providing service to stations such as Rockville, Silver Spring, and Washington, D.C. The new “Meet the MARC” Route 94 has 10 stops in Clarksburg and provides connections at the MARC Germantown station. See timetable and map of the route.
Route 96 Grosvenor to Rock Spring Park and Montgomery Mall
Minor adjustments were made to the trips that had operated between 7:54 and 8:18 AM departing Grosvenor Metro. Here is the timetable.
Improvements to SmarTrip for Ride On riders: Two Taps & A New Tone
Two changes are coming to Ride On and Metrobus fareboxes beginning today that are intended to make the boarding process a bit faster for bus riders.
For passengers adding value to their SmarTrip card aboard the bus, the first change means it will only take two taps to complete the process versus three previously. On the first tap, passengers can add value. On the second tap, the farebox will add the value to the card and deduct the bus fare in one step. Safeguard features have been added so that riders are not overcharged if they accidently tap their card after adding value, or if they pay their fare first and then add value on board.
The second improvement is a new tone that will sound if a rider's SmarTrip card has less than $1.60 in stored value remaining. The low balance warning tone is intended to remind passengers to add value before they take their next trip to minimize boarding delays.
Riders are encouraged to add value to their SmarTrip cards at Metrorail stations, regional transit stores, select retail locations or the most convenient option, by signing up for Auto Reload at wmata.com/autoreload.
Special Limited Schedule On Christmas Eve, Tuesday, December 24, 2014
So that our operators may spend time with their families on Christmas Eve, Ride On will limit late evening service. Trips scheduled to depart from the terminal at 10:01 PM or later will NOT operate. For more information, including the last trips operated, click here for a flyer in English and Spanish.
Important Information on Schedules for:
- Veterans Day - Tuesday, November 11, 2014
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Monday, January 19, 2015
- Presidents' Day - Monday, February 16, 2015
On the above holidays, Ride On will operate a modified holiday schedule on these Federal holidays when ridership is far less than a normal weekday. Because we understand that some riders who work for other employers still need to get to work or to other destinations, we will be operating service on every route. Schedules will include fewer trips during the day, but service starts and ends at approximately the same time as a weekday schedule.
Operating the modified holiday schedule more accurately matches service with actual ridership on those holidays, therefore saving costs while also helping the environment.
Click here to view detailed special holiday schedules by route.
New Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® Card Now Available for Ride On Customers 18 and Under
Ride On is now offering a new Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card for customers 18 years of age and under. Stored value can be added to the card for usage on Metrorail, Metrobus and other transit agencies that accept SmarTrip® cards.
Ride On youth passengers will be able to add their monthly Youth pass to the new Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card. The Youth Monthly pass provides kids unlimited rides for only $11 a calendar month on Ride On only, a significant savings over regular fares. A special Youth summer pass provides unlimited rides from June 1 through August 31 for $18. The summer pass can be purchased starting May 16 until July 31.
Proof of age and County residence is required to obtain a Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card. Riders must obtain the card in person and will be required to register it.
The Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® Card can only be obtained at:
Ride On Customers Can Load Monthly Pass Onto SmarTrip® Cards
Ride On passengers will be able to load monthly passes onto their SmarTrip® cards beginning with December's monthly pass. The $45 monthly pass provides customers unlimited rides on Montgomery County Ride On buses for an entire calendar month. Paper passes are being phased out and will no longer be available after January 31, 2013.
Starting November 16, monthly passes can be loaded onto SmarTrip® cards either in person or online. When adding value online, customers have the option of purchasing monthly passes automatically. The automatic monthly pass value is then added to a purchaser's card seven days before the end of every month.
Customers who prefer to add the monthly pass value to a SmarTrip® card in person, may do so at the following locations:
Ride On passengers with monthly passes who use the express Route #70 will be charged an additional $2.05 for each trip that will automatically be deducted from their SmarTrip® card.
A monthly pass purchased the 1st through the 15th of any month is active for the month in which it was purchased. If the pass is purchased the 16th through the end of the month, the pass will be valid for the following month.
The Ride On monthly pass represents a 43% savings over paying cash fares on regular Ride On routes. Information about the monthly pass is available here.
SmarTrip® card users are encouraged to register their SmarTrip® card online, so that the stored value won't be lost if the card is misplaced. Customers can manage SmarTrip® information online, including viewing their card balance and usage history, adding multiple cards to their account, reporting a lost card, requesting a replacement card or transferring the balance to another registered card.
Ride On Needs Volunteers to Test the Monthly Pass on SmarTrip®
We are testing the passes for use during September and October. If you take Ride On and would like to be part of the pilot, call one of the locations below:
Your SmarTrip card must be registered with the SmarTrip Customer Service Center and cannot have a negative value. You can begin purchasing the test Monthly Pass August 16, 2012. Detailed instructions with guidelines, as well as the registration form for the pilot will be provided when you visit the TRIPs Stores or the Montgomery County Treasury Office.
The cost of the Ride On Monthly Pass is $45 and the pass becomes active September 1, 2012. Remember the Ride On Monthly pass is good on Ride On only, not Metrobus.
Streetlight Not Working at Your Stop?
Click here to report a streetlight that isn't working.
Seniors (age 65 years) now have a new Senior SmarTrip card that may be used to ride free on Ride On buses and some Metrobuses in Montgomery County from 9:30 am to 3 pm weekdays.
Ride On is committed to the safety of all our passengers especially children. It is important for everyone to understand some simple safety tips for riding on Ride On. Please review these safety tips and enjoy the ride!
Please help us keep you safe. If you see anything suspicious, please let your bus operator or station manager know or call 800-492-TIPS (8477). Transitwatch Brochure
Subscribe to Ride On Subscriptions and you will be notified via email about the service changes or promotional programs which benefit our daily riders.
You can sign up or remove your email address here. You will find the 'Ride On Services' option under the 'Transportation Services' category near the bottom of the page when you create a new, or update an existing account.
Order Call-N-Ride Coupon Online now available-This Montgomery County program provides subsidized taxi trips for low-income persons with disabilities and seniors.
To be eligible for the Call 'N' Ride Program, you must be low income, at least 67 years of age or disabled.
Buy Tokens or Passes?
Where can I buy Ride On or Metro passes or Tokens?
- TRiPS Commuter Store: 8413 Ramsey Avenue, Silver Spring (Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m (240-773-8747.)
- TRiPS Commuter Store: 17 Wisconsin Circle, Friendship Heights (Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (240-773-8747)
- Montgomery County Division of Treasury: 255 Rockville Pike, L-15, Rockville, (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (240-777-8930)
- Passes and stored value can be loaded onto Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® cards either in person or online at SmarTrip.com. Through their online account, customers have the option of automatically purchasing Youth monthly passes for their Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® Card, which is then added to a purchaser's card seven days before the end of every month. Purchase the Youth Monthly passes or add value to the Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card in person at the following locations:
- TRiPS Commuter Store: 8413 Ramsey Avenue, Silver Spring (Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. 240-773-8747)
- TRiPS Commuter Store: 17 Wisconsin Circle, Friendship Heights (Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. 240-773-8747)
- Montgomery County Division of Treasury: 255 Rockville Pike, L-15, Rockville, (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. â€“ 240-777-8930)
- Certain Giant Food stores in Montgomery County
- Certain CVS Pharmacy stores in Montgomery County
- Zodiac Stores in Gaithersburg and Wheaton
- Check Cash Depot and Money Express in Gaithersburg
- Youth Cruiser Terms and conditions Brochure
- Youth Cruiser FAQ En Espanol
- TRiPS Commuter Store: 8413 Ramsey Avenue, Silver Spring (Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- TRiPS Commuter Store: 17 Wisconsin Circle, Friendship Heights (Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Montgomery County Division of Treasury: 255 Rockville Pike, L-15, Rockville, (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- Some Giant Food and CVS Pharmacy stores in Montgomery County. A full list of participating retail outlets is available online.
- Passes for two consecutive months may be loaded onto a SmarTrip® card at one time. Customers should be aware that, once purchased, the two-month period for which the pass is active cannot be changed.
- TRiPS Store 240-773-8747
- Silver Spring - 8413 Ramsey Avenue
- Friendship Heights -17 Wisconsin Circle
- For Hours and Directions
- Montgomery County Treasury (255 Rockville Pike, L-15) in Rockville at 240-777-5867
- In person at these locations through out the County
- Online with Ride On, Metro
For any MCDOT service request or complaint, call 311
When dialing outside of the county, call 240-777-0311 or submit via their website.
For website comments or to report website problems or broken links, please email us.
This email address does not handle service requests or complaints.
Transit Services · Montgomery County Department of Transportation
Questions/Comments · Inside Montgomery County dial 311 · TTY: 301-251-4850
Outside Montgomery County dial 240-777-0311