Skip to main content

Child Care Subsidy Programs

How to Apply

Click on the link below to complete an application for the Working Parents Assistance Program (WPA).  Sign and submit the WPA application in person, by mail or fax to the Child Care Subsidy Office (240-777-1342)

Application - English  Solicitud - en espaƱol

Documents To Bring

  • Verification of wages (most recent four weeks of pay stubs or a letter from the employer (on company letterhead) stating work schedule, wages per hour and number of hours worked per week.  Letter should include a supervisor's name and contact information.
  • Verification of training or school attendance with days and hours of activity
  • Verification of child support payments or an application to agree to pursue chilled support
  • Proof of identity for all members of the household (any government issued document, for example, birth certificate, passport or driver's license)
  • Photo identification  for head of household (driver's license, Maryland ID, or employment ID)
  • Proof of address (apartment or house lease; electric, gas, water or phone bill)
  • Copy of birth certificate for all children in the household
  • If you are a single parent, proof that you have met child support requirements by reporting information about the absent parent
  • Copy of your most recent tax return - federal form 1040 with W-2's
  • Official proof of any additional income.  

Eligibility Requirements

Families in the following categories may be eligible for the Working Parents Assistance (WPA) Program

Family Size Minimum Annual Income Maximum Annual Income *
Family of 2 $24,278 $51,360
Family of 3 $29,991 $57,780
Family of 4 $35,703 $64,200
Family of 5 $41,415 $69,360
Family of 6 or more $47,128 $74,520

* If your income falls below the income scale for the Working Parents Assistance Program, the Child Care Subsidy Program will forward you an application to the Maryland Child Care Subsidy Program.(CCSP).  Complete the application and return to the address on the application.

Families in the following categories may be eligible for the Maryland Child Care Subsidy Program (CCSP)

Family Size Maximum Annual Income*

Family of 2


Family of 3


Family of 4


Family of 5


Family of 6


Family of 7


Family of 8


Family of 9


Family of 10


*Teen parents and non-parent custodians on both the Maryland Child Care Subsidy Program (CCSP) and the Working Parents Assistance (WPA) Program will have $5,000 deducted from their gross annual income for each child enrolled in child care.

Fees and Payments

  • Working Parents Assistance payments are made monthly based on the value of the vouchers 


1.   I received the vouchers by mail.  What do I do with them?

For State Child Care Subsidy Program (formerly Purchase of Care - POC):   The provider must fully complete Section IV, (Provider Information), at the bottom of the voucher.  The client and the provider must both sign and date the voucher.  The client keeps one copy, the provider keeps one copy and the original is returned, fully completed, to MDCCSP, P.O. Box 17543, Baltimore, MD  21297-1543 or by fax to 410-229-0010 immediately or within sixty days after the authorization date of the voucher.  After sixty days from the authorization date, the voucher expires.

For Working Parents Assistance Program:   The client receives a set of monthly vouchers.  Each voucher is handed to the provider for the given month. The provider must complete all sections of the voucher except for the box requesting the client’s signature.  The client will sign and date this section.  Five days before the end of the month, the provider will mail the top, white copy fully completed to the Child Care Subsidy Programs at 7300 Calhoun Place, Suite 700, Rockville, MD  20855.  The pink copy of the voucher is kept by the client for her/his records; the yellow copy of the voucher is kept by the provider for her/his records.

2.   Why does the Working Parents Assistance Program require that we file child support through the court?

The goal of the WPA program is economic self-sufficiency.  If the child support is court ordered, a child is eligible to receive child support until the emancipation age of 18.  However, government subsidies will end before the emancipation age.  Often when pursuing child support, paternity is also established.  Establishing paternity gives a child born outside of marriage the same legal rights as a child born to married parents.  These include Social Security benefits, Veteran’s benefits and inheritance rights.  If the absent parent stops paying support and the payments have been ordered by the court, the court will be able to enforce the order and hold the absent parent accountable and in contempt of court.

3.  What are the advantages of using licensed care?

Licensed providers must attend educational orientations regarding child health and safety, child supervision, and general program operations.  They must complete 24 hours of child development courses along with a Basic First Aid Certification.  Licensed providers must have a criminal background check, have an emergency plan in place, and pass inspection of their homes from the Licensing Department and Fire Department.The Working Parents Assistance (WPA) Program only makes payment to licensed providers.

4.  My provider sent in the State Child Care Subsidy Program (CCSP)  voucher fully completed and signed, the invoices were completed and returned but they have not gotten any payment.  What can they do?

The provider should  call the Baltimore office at 1-866-243-8796 for payment questions.

5.  My provider sent in the Working Parents Assistance (WPA) Program voucher fully completed and signed, the invoices were completed and returned but they have not received any payment.  What can they do?

The provider should call Mia King, Montgomery County Child Care Subsidy Program, WPA Payment Specialist at 240-777-1164 for payment questions.

6.  I am on the State Child Care Subsidy Program and my voucher indicates that I must pay a co-payment.  Is this the only amount I have to pay the provider?

Many providers have fees in addition to the weekly cost of child care, such as registration fees, late pick-up fee and activity fees.  Often, the voucher  amount issued for the State Child Care Subsidy Program (CCSP) or the Working Parents Assistance (WPA) Program does not cover the full cost of child care.  The parent is responsible for paying the "difference" between the authorized child care subsidy amount and any additional costs above the voucher amount.  When determining the "difference" owed to the provider, also note that if the amount authorized on the child care subsidy voucher is greater than the amount charged by the provider for the cost of care, CCSP will reduce the voucher amount to the lesser fee charged by the provider.  

In addition to paying the "difference" owed above the child care voucher amount, for those enrolled in the CCSP, the parent may have to pay a weekly "co-pay."  CCSP assigns the weekly co-pay based on the number of children in the family enrolled in child care and based on the family's gross income.  If the CCSP voucher indicates a weekly co-pay amount, the parent is also responsible for paying this amount directly to the provider.  The amount of the weekly co-pay is non-negotiable.  Providers have the option of reducing or offering scholarship for the "difference" owed.  If the co-pay is not paid, the child's enrollment will be terminated by the CCSP.  Prior to enrolling your child in care, please carefully read the provider's rules and regulations and understand all fees associated with the cost of care.

7.  What if I choose a provider that charges more than the subsidy amount on the voucher?

Both the WPA Program and the State Child Care Subsidy Program will only pay the subsidy amount authorized on the voucher.  When selecting a provider, discuss all costs before enrollment.  The parent is responsible for paying all fees above or in addition to the cost of child care.

Additional Information

  • Effective June 29, 2015, licensed providers receiving payment from the State Child Care Subsidy Program (CCSP) or the Montgomery County Working Parents Assistance (WPA) Program must participate in Maryland EXCELS.  To determine if  your provider is participating in Maryland EXCELS, call Vickie Disanto, Quality Assurance Specialist for Montgomery County at 240-314-1424 or by email at
  • Parents and providers with questions about the State Child Care Subsidy Program (CCSP), formerly Purchase of Care (POC), or who need to provide information to the CCSP for completion of the child care subsidy application process or for provider payment should use the following contact information:
   Parents Providers
Phone 1-866-243-8796 1-866-243-8796
FAX 410-229-0053 410-229-0010

CCS Central
P.O. Box 17015
Baltimore, MD  21297l

P.O. Box 17543
Baltimore, MD  21297-1543



Go Top