Nadim Khan Memorial Homeless Resource Day | Volunteer Opportunities
Homeless Resource Day Volunteer Registration Form
Roles and Responsibilities
Volunteer Opportunity Brochure
Volunteer Training Opportunities
Homeless Resource Day On-Line Training (Now Available)
New volunteers must take one of the two training opportunities:
Wednesday, November 9, 2016
6:15 -7:30 p.m.
401 Hungerford Drive, 1st Floor Room #A, Rockville, Maryland 20850
University of Maryland and Montgomery College Students only - In-Class Training will be provided
(Details will be provided by school)
The day is possible due to the help of many volunteers. During Homeless Resource Day, students from Montgomery College, the University of Maryland School of Nursing and community members volunteer. They assist in various roles-one of the most rewarding is serving as a guide to escort homeless guests through the facility helping them navigate services, vendors and exhibits. Some of the comments last year were:
- "I think what you people are doing for the homeless is wonderful; I am very thankful, my guide was awesome."
- "People respected my dignity and my guide from the University of Maryland kept me focused."
- "The guide was fabulous; she was extremely helpful and patient."
(These are basic roles, not a complete list.)
- Greeter-Welcome guests and provide directions
- Guide-Escort guests to the services and resources provided
- Registration Areas-Register guests, vendors or volunteers (Start time for Registration Areas 7:00 a.m.)
- Lobby Monitor-Provide direction and help traffic
- Transportation Guide-Assist guests to connect with transportation and shuttle vans
- Giveaway Area-Distributing donated items
How long are the volunteer shifts?
(These are basic shifts, we welcome your assistance and will accommodate your schedule.)
- All Day 7:30a-3:00p
Benefits of volunteering
"Volunteers are not paid, not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless" -- Sherry Anderson
- Networking opportunities
- Learn and develop skills
- Teach skills to others
- Gain work experience
- Build self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improve your health
- Meet new people
- Feel needed and valued
- Make a difference in someone's life