Homeless Resource Day
Home | Volunteer Brochure | Registration Form | Roles and Responsibilities
On-Line Training | In-Person Training Details
How to become a volunteer?
Click here to fill out the registration form.
Also please review the roles and responsibilities.
Note: Training is required for all volunteers. There is no volunteer registration on Homeless Resource Day. There are several volunteer opportunities:
- On-Line Training
Click here to take the Homeless Resource Day on-line Training
- In-Person Training
Wednesday, October 29 at 6:15p (training will start at 6:30p)
401 Hungerford Drive, 1st Floor, Tan Conference Room
Rockville, Maryland 20850
- Students will receive in-class training
(Details will be provided by class instructors)
The day is possible due to the help of many volunteers. During Homeless Resource Day, students from Montgomery College, the University of Maryland School of Nursing and community members volunteered. They assist in various roles, one of the most rewarding was serving as guides to escort homeless guests through the facility helping them navigate services, vendors and exhibits. Some of the comments last year were:
- "I think what you people are doing for the homeless is wonderful; I am very thankful, my guide was awesome."
- "People respected my dignity and my guide from the University of Maryland kept me focused."
- "The guide was fabulous; she was extremely helpful and patient."
(These are basic roles, not a complete list.)
- Greeter-Welcome guests and provide directions
- Guide-Escort guests to the services and resources provided
- Registration Areas-Register guests, vendors or volunteers (Start time for Registration Ares is 7a.m.)
- Lobby Monitor-Provide direction and help traffic
- Transportation Guide-Assist guests to connect with transportation and shuttle vans
- Giveaway Area-Distributing donated items
How long are the volunteer shifts?
(These are basic shifts, we welcome your assistance and will accommodate your schedule.)
- 7:30-11:30 a.m.
- 11:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- All Day
Benefits of volunteering
"Volunteers are not paid, not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless" -- Sherry Anderson
- Networking opportunities
- Learn and develop skills
- Teach skills to others
- Gain work experience
- Build self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improve your health
- Meet new people
- Feel needed and valued
- Make a difference in someone's life