Skip Navigation

Other Useful Links
Dept Of Permitting Services

Some links in this web site
may contain information
in an Adobe PDF format.

the Adobe Acrobat Reader free from Adobe Systems

Get Adobe Reader


Merit Systems Protection Board

Accessory Apartment Licenses

Accessory apartment licenses are now issued by the Department of Housing and Community Affairs (DHCA), Licensing and Registration. This new license type is for accessory apartments that do not have a special exception approved before May 20, 2013.

Montgomery County has replaced the special exception approval previously required for accessory apartments with the new licensing process.  This process is designed to make it easier for owners to pursue this option and increase the supply of affordable housing in the County.  Individuals who wish to apply for an accessory apartment may use the licensing process if the accessory apartment meets certain minimum standards.  Those standards are available on DHCA’s website. The fact sheet can be found here.  

Objections to an Accessory Apartment Decision

Individuals who disagree with the findings made by DHCA on a license application or who believe that on-street parking is inadequate to accommodate the apartment may object to granting the license and request that OZAH review the application.  Forms for filing an objection are located here.  OZAH must hold a public hearing on the objections within 20 days of filing.

Applications for an Accessory Apartment Special Exception

Applications for special exceptions that are not eligible to apply for licenses are still required to obtain special exception approval.  Applications for a special exception for an accessory apartment are located here

More Information

Please click here to go to the Department of Housing and Community Affairs page for more information on the process of applying for an accessory apartment license. 

Montgomery County Council, 100 Maryland Ave, Rockville MD 20850
Phone: (240) 777-7900 (voice) • (240) 777-7888 (fax) • (MD Relay) Dial 711 or 800-201-7165
Contact the County Council and Legislative Branch Offices