Minority & Women-Owned Businesses
The number of minority- and women-owned businesses continues to grow and there are many resources available to support their efforts. There are a variety of agencies and organizations focused on helping minority- and woman-owned businesses grow and prosper in Montgomery County.
Businesses in Montgomery County have access to technical assistance from many different sources -- just find the best fit for your needs.
General Business Assistance -- on-line resources, business courses, mentoring, one-on-one business counseling, connections to financing.
Targeted Business Assistance
Classes and workshops on business topics help entrepreneurs and business owners take their companies to the next level.
Look to the local colleges and universities for a broad range of business educational opportunities.
- Montgomery College business education -- helping local businesses build a more efficient, effective and highly motivated team.
- Montgomery College FastTrac courses -- learning for future and current business owners before, during, and after the startup process. Entrepreneurs will receive the information, resources and networks necessary to start and grow successful businesses.
- Montgomery College Hillman Entrepreneurs Program -- a scholarship and educational program designed to support, develop and graduate ethical leaders who want to energize and give back to their local communities. Open to all transferable majors starting at Montgomery College and finishing at the University of Maryland, College Park.
- Macklin Business Institute (MBI) -- Originally a one-year sophomore-level honors business program, MBI has since grown to incorporate an additional two-year program for students applying to Montgomery College as freshman. MBI is an experiential learning program for business students to get hands-on experience in the business world and local community.
- The Universities at Shady Grove -- offers a full range of business courses from leading Maryland universities.
Resources for business workshops and training
The Montgomery County Small Business Toolkit includes resources to assist firms that would like to pursue contracting opportunities.
There are many resouces avaiilable to small, minority, woman and disabled-owned businesses to reasearch what the county buys, who currently holds contracts and when opportunities might come up for bid.