Skip Navigation


Juvenile Division

Juvenile Division

Location, Phone, Hours of Operation
Location: Montgomery County Circuit Court
South Tower 3rd floor, Rm 3520
Phone: (240) 777-9530
Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

The Juvenile Division, which is a part of Family Division Services, provides oversight for the following matters: Delinquency, Children in Need of Assistance (CINA), Termination of Parental Rights (TPR), Voluntary Placement, Peace Orders, and Adoptions. The majority of the Court’s juvenile-related workload is comprised of Delinquency and CINA Petitions. These matters, which are governed by strict statutory timeframes, require a high degree of judicial oversight by the Court over a long-term basis.

The Circuit Court, through its Family Division Services, assigns a case manager to each case at the time of filing. A case manager makes sure that the case receives proper attention according to the requirements of the Juvenile Differentiated Case Management Plan.

CINA/Juvenile Delinquency FAQs

Where are juvenile hearings held?

Juvenile cases are primarily heard in the South Tower of Montgomery County Circuit Court in Rockville, MD. When you arrive at the courthouse, please check the television monitors located in the lobby on the lower level of the North Tower to confirm the exact location of the hearing.

Who can I call if I have an unruly child?

The Juvenile Court does not have jurisdiction over a child until a petition has been filed. If your child has not committed a delinquent act and you are not currently involved with the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services or the Court, you may call the Department of Juvenile Services’ Rockville office at 301-610-8500 to see if there are any services that may be available to you and/or your child without court involvement.

You may also call the Montgomery County Local Access Mechanism (LAM) at 301-354-4905 to see if there are any services that may be available to you and/or your child or check, an on-line database of resources and services created specifically for Montgomery County residents.

Is my child entitled to an attorney?

If an attorney does not enter his/her appearance within 5 days after you have received notice of the Petition, the Court will appoint an attorney for your child.

Are parents entitled to an attorney?

Parents in CINA cases are not entitled to representation but are strongly encouraged to retain counsel. You may contact the Public Defender’s Office CINA Division to see if you qualify for representation:

Public Defender’s Office CINA Division
191 East Jefferson Street, 3rd Floor
Rockville, Maryland 20850
Phone: 301-563-8919

If you do not qualify, you may retain private counsel.

What are statutory deadlines?

According to Maryland Law, if a child is in shelter care or in detention, the case must proceed to an adjudicatory hearing within 30 days of the shelter or detention hearing. If a child remains in the home, a case must proceed to the adjudicatory hearing within 60 days of the service of the petition on the child.

May I contact the Judge regarding my child’s case?

No. Parties may not contact the Judge or his/her chambers to inquire about a case. Such contact is considered ex parte communication and is prohibited.

Who watches over my case

Case managers in Family Division Services monitor the progress of juvenile cases to ensure that cases are receiving the appropriate resources, filings are in a proper posture for scheduled hearings, and unresolved issues which might prevent a case from moving forward are identified. They act as liaisons between the judges, attorneys, and service providers. Each case is permanently assigned to a Case Manager to ensure continuity from initial case filing through post-judgment actions.

The Case Manager and their contact information are listed below:

Juvenile Case Managers
Case Mangers Phone
Marianne Hendricks, Supervisor 240-777-9084
Christine Alexander 240-777-9063
Amanda Barrett 240-777-9062
Joanna Bonner 240-777-9171
Erin Shine 240-777-9064
Jennifer Littlejohn 240-777-9118
Corey Magill 240-777-9172

Postponement Policy

If a party wishes to postpone an adjudicatory hearing beyond a statutory deadline, the Administrative Judge or the Family Judge in Charge may extend the deadline for extraordinary cause (extraordinary cause is that which is not foreseeable, usual, or predictable). As a matter of policy, the Administrative Judge will also hear motions for postponements of other events that require a finding of good cause.

All requests to postpone a hearing must be filed in writing with the juvenile clerk. Requests to postpone a hearing filed after 2:30 pm on the day before the hearing will not be processed and will be addressed in the courtroom on the original scheduled date. If the request is filed before 2:30 pm on the day before the scheduled hearing, the case manager will handle the request as a rush. To expedite the rush process, the filing party should deliver a courtesy copy of the postponement request (motion) to the assigned case manager and notify her that it has been filed. Positions of the other parties must be included in the motion. If positions cannot be gathered, the motion will be addressed in court by the Administrative Judge or Family Judge in Charge on the original scheduled date.

Go to Top

Important Juvenile Court Participants

The following individuals are normally involved with CINA or Juvenile Delinquency cases:

Participants in a CINA Case

Participants in a Delinquent Case

Go to Top


Montgomery County Circuit Court
50 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Maryland 20850
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM