Salary Range: $36,762 - $59,731
Closing Date: April 24, 2015
MONTGOMERY COUNTY CIRCUIT COURT, MARYLAND
Personnel Class Specification
ADMINISTRATIVE AIDE IV – FAMILY MAGISTRATE
DEFINITION OF CLASS
An employee in this position performs highly responsible administrative, secretarial and clerical work characterized by handling and coordinating overall office duties for the Department of Family Magistrates.
Employee should have a thorough knowledge of Court organization and procedures, general office practices, and be able to make independent decisions in dealing with the public, staff and other Court employees.
EXAMPLE OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Preparation of Orders, Judgments of Divorce, Reports of the Family Magistrates and routine correspondence.
- Preparation of files and transmittal to the Clerk’s Office with Orders, Exhibits, etc., and mailing of Reports and Orders to counsel.
- Maintenance of “tickler” systems to ensure that Orders and Judgments are promptly submitted for Judge’s signature and filed when ripe.
- Preparation and filing of FDM Disposition Information Sheets on all cases scheduled to be heard before the Family Magistrate.
- Maintenance and filing of each Magistrate’s notes in personal filing system.
- Telephone and personal contact with attorneys and general public. Scheduling of telephone conference calls, in-chambers conferences, child interviews, specially set hearings, etc. Contacting attorneys to ascertain status of Consent Orders, Qualified Domestic Relations Orders, etc.
- Assist Magistrate in courtroom during Scheduling Conferences. Keep courtroom stocked with appropriate brochures and questionnaires.
- Monitor printer and distribute orders, parenting brochures, mediation questionnaires, etc.
- Distribute appropriate copies of orders to Assignment Office, Evaluators, and Mediators with face sheets attached.
- Return prep sheets to Case Managers.
- Review Consent Orders before giving them to the Magistrate on any cases that may settle at facilitation, or have settled in general. Determine if hearing dates should be removed and remove them by entering the appropriate disposition code in the computer. Call Assignment Office to remove any custody merits hearings that may have settled. Determine if a case is “closed out” and give appropriate notice to the Clerk’s office.
- Re-code cases that appear on the Exceptions printout. Review files for fee petitions and appointment of Guardian ad litem/Nagle vs. Hooks attorneys. Request financial statements, and contact attorneys to be appointed. Prepare orders for signature.
- Prepare monthly “under advisement list” to be submitted to the Administrative Judge. Prepare Magistrate’s leave requests and submit them to Administrative Judge, Administrative Office of the Court, Family Division Coordinator, Assignment Commissioner and Courtroom Clerks.
- Order transcripts from Technical Services for oral recommendations of the Magistrate, and process them when received.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with other court personnel.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict additional various diversified tasks and assignments that may be required by the Judicial Officers and/or Court Administrator.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work the full-time standard Court work schedule of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Monday through Friday) with flexibility to accommodate any necessary early or late meetings.
- Maintain a regular, punctual and reliable level of attendance.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and written, and exercise a high degree of judgment, tact, diplomacy and competence in dealing with judges, attorneys, court personnel and the public.
- Ability to handle stress and maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with court personnel and the public at all times.
- Superior writing skills and command of English is essential.
- Excellent oral communication skills and an even temperament are high priority considerations for this position.
- Ability to lift and carry stacks of court files; transport court files from one department to another within the Court.
- High school graduate with minimum of 2 years secretarial experience. Legal experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suites and transcription experience preferred.
- Ability to type 45 words per minute accurately.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education may be substituted.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.
- Please open the Online Employment Application PDF. Mac users MUST use Adobe to complete the application. The Mac "Preview" application will not transmit your information to us.The application form requires you to have Adobe Reader version 8 or higher. Go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/ to download the latest Adobe Reader version.
- A button marked “Highlight Fields” will be above and to the right of the Application form. Click the button to show fields that can be typed in.
- Complete all applicable fields by typing or clicking into each one.
- On the last page of the Application there are two buttons. The Print button will allow you to print a copy for yourself. The Save As button will allow you to save the completed application to your computer.
- Please send an email with following attachments to email@example.com: completed application, cover letter, resume, and a writing sample.
50 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Maryland 20850
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM