Interlibrary Loan Services
Are you looking for a book or other item that MCPL does not own?
Marina, the Maryland interlibrary loan system, and enter your request.
What to know about Marina and OCLC loans:
- Marina loans are for 3 weeks. There is no fee for the loan.
- Marina items can be renewed for you by a staff member, up to 2 times.
- Maryland libraries choose what materials they are willing to lend via Marina. Some do not lend audiovisual materials or new books.
If you cannot find the title you need in Marina's catalog, you will be able to fill out a form to request a loan or an article photocopy. You will see links to the forms if you click on My Account at the top of Marina's screen or if your search brings up no results. The requests go beyond Maryland to OCLC, a national interlibrary loan service.
- OCLC loan periods are set by the lending library and may be a few days to several weeks long.
- OCLC items cannot be renewed.
- OCLC loans may have a fee, set by the lender, and the form will ask you to indicate the amount you are willing to pay.
- Fees for photocopies are set by the lending library.
- All MCPL cardholders with accounts "in good standing" may request material through ILL. An account "in good standing" is defined as an account where the fines total less than $25. The ILL borrowing privileges of customers who accumulate fines of $25 or more, or whose account has been sent to a collection agency, are suspended (i.e., customers are unable to log in to MARINA and request materials) until sufficient payments are made to reduce the overall balance to less than $25.
A few more things to know about interlibrary loan:
- You will be notified,
by email or by mail, when the item reaches your branch, just as you are for holds on titles MCPL owns.
- MCPL charges a $1.00 fee for holds not picked up or cancelled within 10 days of the notification of their availability. This fee applies to interlibrary loan items.
- Overdue fines are the same as
fines for MCPL overdue items.
- If an interlibrary loan item is lost or damaged, you will be responsible for the costs. Academic institutions and special libraries charge a lot for their items and will not accept substitute copies.
- You may have a maximum of 30 hold requests on your account at one time. This includes holds for materials owned by MCPL and interlibrary loan requests.
- Microfilm or microfiche will only be sent to and must be used at
Rockville Memorial Library.
- To contact Interlibrary Loan, call 240-777-0046 with your library card number at hand. You may also email the ILL Service at email@example.com.
- For help with finding or requesting items, please contact
Ask-a-Librarian or your
local branch. For overdue issues, contact your