Ready, Willing and Able to Work
A vote for Question A will amend the County Charter to allow County Government more flexibility to recruit and select qualified individuals with severe physical or mental disabilities for County jobs.
Over the years, public and private employers state that they are committed to the employment of people with disabilities. However, the data clearly demonstrates that disabled veterans and persons with disabilities have an extremely high unemployment rate. In the County, 46% of individuals with disabilities ages 18-64 are unemployed or not in the labor force.
Vote for Question A:
- No cost to taxpayers.
- Only qualified individuals will be considered.
- Only individuals certified as having a disability will be considered.
- This is an initiative not a requirement. County supervisors have the discretion whether or not to use this flexible hiring tool to hire an applicant with a disability.
- A vote for Question A is not a gift or a promise. It simply levels the playing field so that disabled veterans and people with disabilities have a chance of employment in County Government.
- An employee with a disability will serve a probationary period and may be removed if they do not adequately perform the job.
- Studies show that frequently individuals with disabilities stay on the job longer, have fewer unscheduled absences and have identical job performances as their co-workers.
- It’s the right thing to do.
Vote for Question A - An Initiative to broaden job opportunities for disabled veterans and individuals with disabilities. It's the right thing to do!