Working with Landlords During Financial Difficulties
​COVID-19 Guidance

Any tenant who expects to miss a rent payment should contact their landlord to alert them and discuss options, such as partial payments or an agreement for future payments. Tenants are encouraged to keep written documentation of all conversations with their landlord including dates and times, as well as written receipts and records of all payments made. It is best to pay online or with a check, as this gives you written verification of payments made. If you have to pay with cash or money order, only do so if you receive a receipt upon transfer of rent payment to the landlord.

Before signing any payment agreement, talk it through with your landlord. You can also contact DHCA by calling 311 to review any agreement. 

Residents are encouraged to apply for unemployment benefits which have been expanded to include most workers, with significant increase in payment amounts. The Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance advises that residents who are now totally or partially unemployed and have worked within the past 18 months can apply. In addition to wage and salary workers, self-employed workers, independent contractors, gig workers and others can apply for unemployment benefits online.

Find information about other benefits and assistance at COVID-19: Community Resources.

It’s important to pursue the above steps, because if you end up in court, you will want to show the judge that you made every effort to receive all assistance for which you were qualified (such as unemployment, emergency assistance) and, that you tried to work with your landlord in good faith to establish some sort of a payment plan. 

For more information for renters, please visit Renter Issues Related to COVID-19 Crisis.