Checking on your application?

Please allow up to 30 days for processing before making your inquiry.

Visit the website to:

  • apply online and submit documents
  • to find information
  • recertify or check the status of an existing application
  • Report any changes related to an existing case
  • for other State social service programs.

Or, contact the State DHS Call Center at 1-800-332-6347.

Child Welfare Services

  • Child Abuse and Neglect Crisis Line: 240-777-4417
    • make a Child Protective Services report
    • ask questions about an open Child Welfare Services case
  • There is no walk-in service.
  • To reach your caseworker, contact them directly.

Crisis Center

The Crisis Center provides 24/7 telephone and walk-in crisis mental health services.

1301 Piccard Drive
Rockville, MD 20850

Housing Stabilization Services

Services for emergency housing needs, including homelessness prevention services and housing related financial assistance to prevent eviction, foreclosure and utility disconnection.

Request a phone interview by calling 311 (if calling from outside Montgomery County, call 240-777-0311).

Limited on site services and document drop-off stations are available at:

  • Germantown Office
    12900 Middlebrook Road
    Germantown, MD 20874
  • Rockville Office
    1301 Piccard Drive
    Rockville, MD 20850
  • Silver Spring Office
    8818 Georgia Avenue
    Silver Spring, MD 20910

Burial Assistance

Grants to help pay for burial costs are available through Housing Stabilization Services. Grant amounts are up to $650.

Household income must be below 60% of Area Median Income (for example, $65,520 for a family of three), and must meet additional eligibility criteria.

To request burial assistance

  • complete an online service request, or
  • call 311 (if calling from outside Montgomery County, call 240-777-0311).

Office of Eligibility and Support Services (OESS)

To contact OESS

Our offices are open Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  We can also be reached by telephone or email.
  • Call 240-777-1003, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • [email protected]
  • Fax:
    • Germantown--240-777-3477
    • Rockville Office--240-777-4100
    • Silver Spring--240-777-3070
  • Contact the State DHS Call Center at 1-800-332-6347.

Please continue to report all change (address, employment, etc.) to the MyMDThink website.


MDThink website . Customers can complete their redetermination on the MyMDThink website and upload required verifications such as:

  • Income
  • Shelter (including utilities)
  • Daycare Expenses
To avoid delays and/or cancellation of benefits return your redeterminations as soon as possible, our preferred method of submission is as follows:
  • Website:
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Drop Box(s) located at the following locations:
    • 12900 Middlebrook Road Germantown (Second Floor Lobby)
    • 1301 Piccard Drive Rockville (1 st Floor Lobby)
    • 8818 Georgia Avenue Silver Spring (1 st Floor Lobby Entrance)
  • Faxes:
    • Germantown: 240-777-3477
    • Rockville: 240-777- 4100
    • Silver Spring: 240-777- 3070

If you have additional questions and/or need assistance with completing your redetermination contact the OESS Customer Service and Assistance Center at 240-777-1003.

To apply, renew and/or report changes for Public Assistance benefits

  • The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) [formerly Food Stamps] - provides monthly benefits to families and individuals who need assistance to buy food.
  • Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) provides cash assistance to families with children under 18 years of age when other resources and services do not fully meet the family's needs.
  • The Temporary Disability Assistance Program (TDAP) provides temporary cash assistance to disabled adults between the ages of 18 and 64 years who have no children under the age of 18 living in the home.

Ways to apply

  • Apply online at
  • Fax your application to:
    • Germantown - 240-777-3477
    • Rockville - 240-777-4100
    • Silver Spring - 240-777-3070
  • Email to [email protected]
  • By mail to any OESS office location
  • Visit the office location near you where OESS drop boxes are available

Application tips

  • Documents can be photographed by cell phone or scanned and emailed to the office.
  • Applications must be signed by the head of household or an authorized representative for the head of household.
  • Clients are encouraged to provide all mandatory verifications. Other verifications may be requested as your application is processed.  All verifications must be returned by the due date to prevent denial of an application.  Case processing can take up to 30 days or more.

OESS Office and Drop Box Locations (updated August 9, 2022)

Drop boxes are available at each office location.

Office location Drop box location
12900 Middlebrook Road
Germantown, MD 20874
On the second floor of the front of the building -- labeled as "Documents"
1401 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852
Outside the OESS office
401 Hungerford Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
For Medical Assistance applications only: in the lobby
8818 Georgia Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20910
In the area between the front door and lobby door (Monday through Friday, regular business hours)
8630 Fenton Street
10th floor
Silver Spring, MD 20910
For Medical Assistance and Safety-Net Programs: 10 th floor

Apply for Health Care Assistance

Health Care Programs and Qualified Health Plans (private plans)
For general questions about health insurance coverage, call the Maryland Health Connection at 855-642-8572.

For local assistance, call the Montgomery Health Connection at 240-777-1815 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.).
Medicaid (Medical Assistance or MA) pays the medical bills of low-income individuals. For eligibility questions, call 240-777-1003.

Long Term Care Medical Assistance (LTC) covers the cost of nursing home care for low-income individuals, apply at  MyMDThink.

Montgomery County health programs (Care for Kids and Senior Dental) provide access to medical services for low-income, uninsured families and individuals who are not eligible for State and Federal programs.  If you have eligibility questions, call 240-777-1003.

Health Care for Uninsured Adults (Montgomery Cares)
The Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services continues the suspension of the application process to determine  Montgomery Cares  eligibility.  People may contact or visit any of the Montgomery Cares  clinic locations with their completed application to enroll in the program.

Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP)

OHEP provides utility grants and shut-off prevention to eligible households. The Low Income Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) provides assistance with past due water/wastewater utility bills.

To request a phone appointment, call 240-777-4450.
Ways to apply

Rental Assistance Program (RAP)

No new applications are being accepted for the program at this time.

If you are experiencing a housing crisis, please contact our Housing Stabilization Offices.

If you are asked to provide documents for recertification, you may bring or mail them to
Department of Health and Human Services
Rental Assistance Program
1301 Piccard Drive, 4th floor
Rockville, MD 20850

Working Parents Assistance Program

Ways to apply