Skip to main content

How to Apply


Who Must Be Licensed?

Montgomery County Code Chapter 29 requires owners of residential and multifamily property be licensed before their property may be rented to someone else. Condominiums, Townhomes, Single Family Homes, Accessory Apartments and Multifamily Apartments all require a Rental Housing License in Montgomery County.

What is required to receive a Rental Housing License?

  • Complete online Rental Housing License Application (see AccessMCG instructions below) with appropriate annual license fee
  • Owners who live outside of Maryland must designate a Legal Agent who lives in Maryland on the application for service of process. Legal Agent must sign paper application.
  • Owners must include full home street address and not P.O. Box.
  • Owners cannot be more than 30 days past due on homeowners or condominium association fees
  • Corporation Owners must include contact information for Genral Partner in corporation.
  • Properties built prior to 1/1/78 must include Maryland Lead Poisoning Compliance Registration/Tracking Number and/or Certificate with application.
  • Newly purchased properties must include HUD-1 form or Settlement Sheet with application.
  • Rental Housing License is effective for one year from July 1st through June 30.  
  • Renewal Licenses are sent out annually and the owner must notify the License office if they move, no longer rent or sell the property

Apply and pay online for Single Family, Multifamily/Apartment or Accessory Apartment Rental Housing License

An AccessMCG account is required to apply online. Online payments are accepted by credit card or eCheck. Supporting documents (HUD-1, Lead Poisoning Certificates, etc.) can be submitted online.

Step-by-step Instructions for applying online with AccessMCG 

If you are unable to apply online, you must print and complete the Rental Housing License application and mail it with a check or money order payment to: DHCA Licensing and Registration, 1401 Rockville Pike, 4th Floor, Rockville, MD  20850.

The obligation to License rests with the owner of the property. The licensing requirements DO NOT APPLY to properties located within the city limits of certain incorporated municipalities. To determine if licensing requirements apply, property owners may check the eProperty Data Mining website or call the Licensing and Registration Unit at (240) 777-0311. Owners of property located within incorporated municipalities should also contact local city governments to inquire about municipal licensing requirements.

What are the Requirements regarding Lead Poisoning Compliance?

Effective January 1, 2015, the Montgomery County Department of Housing and Community Affairs (DHCA) is compelled by legislation enacted by the Maryland General Assembly to require that owners of rental properties built prior to January 1, 1978 demonstrate full compliance with the requirements of the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) Lead Poisoning Prevention Program when issuing a Rental Facility License. 

The Rental Facility License Application for all rental types now requires acknowledgement of the date built. If the property was built before January 1, 1978, proof of current registration with the MDE Lead Poisoning Prevention Program; and proof that an accredited inspector has certified that the property meets one of the required inspection standards (lead-free certificate, limited lead-free certificate, or a full risk reduction certificate) must be submitted.

For further information regarding the Maryland Department of the Environment’s Lead Poisoning Prevention Program, contact the MDE at 1 (800) 633-6101 or visit the MDE website at

Are there penalties for failure to obtain a License?

Any person who operates a rental property without first having obtained a License is subject to a class A violation and may have to pay $500 civil fines as a penalty.

For more information, refer to Frequently Asked Licensing/Registration Questions or contact the Licensing and Registration Unit at (240) 777-0311.

Go Top