Skip Navigation


Public Assistance Programs (TCA/TDAP)


How to Apply

You can apply for Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA), Temporary Disability Assistance Program (TDAP) and the Food Supplement Program (Food Stamps) online at, by mail, fax, or other electronic means or you may file in person at a regional office location based on your zip code.  Applicants are seen on a walk-in or by appointment basis.

 If you apply online, please capture and retain the control number provided (a nine digit number starting with the letter "S"), so that your application may be tracked by you until you are contacted by an agency team member to complete the interview and application evaluation  process.

Applications may also be obtained and/or dropped off at one of the three Neighborhood Opportunity Service Centers.

Applicants who do not speak English or have limited English proficiency will have access to an interpreter.  The interpreter may be a local department staff member, an individual designated by the applicant, an individual outside the agency who is proficient in the customer’s language, or the department can use the Language Line. An interpreter cannot be a minor child.

Documents To Bring

In general, the following documents are needed:

Other information may be required once the interview has been completed

Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility is based upon household size, income and assets.  U.S. citizenship is a requirement of the programs but non-citizens with “qualified immigrant” status may also meet eligibility requirements.  Specific information on eligibility is available at the local offices

Fees and Payments



1.  Where should I apply?

Applicants are encouraged to contact an office location based on their zip code. See the listing of those zip codes (below) that correspond to each office.

20812 20813 20814 20815
20816 20817 20818 20824
20827 20830 20832 20833
 20848 20849  20850 20851
20852 20853 20854 20856
20857 20858 20859 20860
20861 20862 20889 20895
20896 20902 20906  

Rockville Office (1301 Piccard Drive)


20783 20866 20868 20901
20903 20904 20905 20907
20910 20911 20912 20914
 20915 20916  20918  

Silver Spring Office (8818 Georgia Avenue):


20838 20839 20841 20842
20855 20871 20872 20874
20875 20876 20877 20878
 20879 20880  20882 20884
20885 20886  21771  

Germantown Office (12900 Middlebrook Road):


2.  If approved, how will I receive my benefits?

Cash benefits are issued through the Electronic Benefit Transfer System (EBT) plastic card known as the Independence Card.  You can withdraw money from automatic teller machines (ATM) or buy things at participating stores.  Cash benefits are made available from the 2nd to the 4th of every month, based on the first letter of your last name.


 Additional Information

No additional Information at this time.