Food and Facilities Licensing
Licensing Services - Special Food Service Facility (Temporary Event)
Who must apply for a temporary event license?
Anyone who plans to sell or give away food at a temporary event must first obtain a Montgomery County Food Service Facility License. The only exception to the law is the sale of fresh produce or live crustaceans.
What is a temporary event?
A temporary event is an event at a fixed location not exceeding 14 days where either a mobile, permanent, or temporary structure is used to prepare, serve, or sell food or drink.
When must one apply for a temporary event license?
A license must be obtained prior to operating. The application must be submitted at least two working days before the scheduled start of the event. A fee will be charged for applications filed less than two working days prior to the event.
How does one apply for a temporary event license?
Applications and information on the requirements are available from the:
Department of Health and Human Services
Licensing & Regulatory Services
255 Rockville Pike, 1st Floor
Rockville, Maryland 20850
Download the Application:
- Special Food Service Facility (Temporary Event) License (pdf)
- Special Food Service Facilities General Sanitation Requirements (English)
- Special Food Service Facilities General Sanitation Requirements (Spanish)
Is there a fee?
Please see the fee schedule for any fees that apply: Fee Schedule
What is the process for applying for a Temporary Event License?
- Submit the application, attachments, and appropriate fee at least two working days prior to the event.
- Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant.
- The application and attachments will be reviewed. An inspection will be conducted, if warranted, at the event prior to operating.
- The license will be mailed to the applicant or issued at the time of the inspection.
Personnel within the Licensure & Regulatory Services section are available to discuss questions during regular working hours (Monday through Friday) 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., 240-777-3986.