According to FEMA, fires are responsible for more than 4,000 deaths in the United States per year. Take the following precautions to ensure you remain safe.
Before a fire:
- Prepare an emergency plan that shows the quickest routes out of your home and a place for your family to meet, and practice your plan.
- Make sure windows are not nailed or painted shut.
- Clean out storage areas containing old newspapers, magazines, and other items that could cause a fire to spread.
- Test and clean smoke alarms once per month, and change batteries at least once per year.
During a fire:
- Stay low to the floor to avoid smoke.
- Do not use an elevator.
- Call 9-1-1 once you exit, not from inside your home or building.
- Once you exit, do not re-enter.
Sign up for Alert Montgomery to receive any information about major fires that might affect travel in Montgomery County
For more information on fires, visit:
- FEMA's educational preparedness campaign