Food and Facilities Licensing
Licensing Services - Camps
Who must apply for a recreational camp license?
Any person, cooperative, association, partnership, firm or corporation desiring to operate a recreational camp in Montgomery County must obtain a license.
What is a recreational camp?
A recreational camp is any camp including but not restricted to sports, science, computer, travel, art, games or outdoor activities, with five (5) or more campers, run for a specified period of time, usually during the summer or holiday seasons.
When must one obtain a recreational camp license?
A license must be obtained prior to operating the recreational camp.
How does one obtain a recreational camp license?
Download and complete the following application: Recreational Camp License Application
Additional information and approvals may be required, including:
- State Police criminal background checks on all employees and staff 410-764-4501
- Use and Occupancy permit 240-777-6200
- Well & Septic approval (where applicable) 240-777-6300
- Montgomery County Fire & Rescue approval 240-777-2457
- Maryland State Department of Health and Mental Hygiene for a Youth Camp Permit 410-767-8419
Any licensed day care center that wants to change to a camp program must also get State Department of Health and Mental Hygiene approval.
Are there any fees?
See the fee schedule to determine fees that may apply: Fee Schedule
What is the process for obtaining a Recreational Camp License?
- Submit the application and the appropriate fee.
- Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant.
- The application and attachments will be reviewed.
- An inspection must be passed prior to the recreational camp license being issued.
Personnel within the Licensure & Regulatory Services section are available to discuss questions during regular working hours (Monday through Friday) 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., 240-777-3986.