Skip Navigation
State's Attorney's Office

Licensing & Registration

Motor Vehicle Repair, Maintenance & Towing

Who must be registered?  Montgomery County Code, Ch. 31A. Motor Vehicle Repair and Towing  requires that merchants engaged in motor vehicle repair, maintenance or towing in Montgomery County be registered. A mobile mechanic or a mobile repair business must have a Certificate of Registration on their person at all times when they are engaged in repair and installation activities.

What is the process?  The registration process is managed by the Licensing & Registration Unit of the Office of Consumer Protection (OCP). The process includes completion of an Application for Certificate of Registration for Motor Vehicle Maintenance Repairs and Towing and payment of a fee. New certificates are issued for one (1) year, and are thereafter renewed every three (3) years. The registration fee schedule is based upon the applicant's number of mechanical employees and/or tow trucks. Click here for the fee schedule.

To register, applicants are required to provide OCP with the following documents:

  • Completed Application and Fee
  • Repair Invoice (for Motor Vehicle Repair and Maintenance)
  • Insurance Binder (for Towing applicants)
  • Current ASE Certification (if an ASE discount is requested)

Once you have been approved, you should post an OCP approved sign at your place of business. The sign describes county law regarding written estimates and should be posted in shops.  The cost of the sign is $20.00 payable by check to Montgomery County, Maryland.  Please call our Licensing & Registration Unit to schedule an appointment for pick-up.

Is there a penalty for failing to register?  Anyone engaged in the business of motor vehicle repair, maintenance or towing without having first registered with the County is subject to a class A violation.  Each violation is subject to a $500.00 civil fine.

For additional information, please contact the Licensing & Registration Unit at 240.777.3718.