- CAR is a free information & referral service that helps adults over 50 and adults with disabilities find transportation for medical services, errands, social activities and more.
- CAR links callers with public, private, and volunteer transportation services, including escorted transportation.
- In addition, the program assists callers with their applications for transportation programs like
. They also offer free workshops on how to use public transportation.
- Call Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. CAR is funded by Montgomery County Government and operated by Jewish Council for the Aging (JCA).
Check out the
Transportation Network Directory for People with Disabilities and Seniors.
- To explore transportation options any time, go to this detailed online guide to public, private and non-profit transportation services.
- The Montgomery County Commission on People with Disabilities designed the guide and keeps it up-to-date. To request a hard copy, call 240-777 1246
Ride Metrobus and Ride On. Sometimes they are free in Montgomery County!
311 for Ride On, 202-637-7000 for Metrobus
- Seniors and people with disabilities ride free on Ride On and Metrobus from 9:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Both pay half fare all other times.
- Seniors must be 65 years or older and have a valid Metro Senior ID Card (Senior SmarTrip Card) or Medicare Card with photo ID. Those with disabilities must have a valid Metro Disabled ID Card.
- Present the card to Ride On and Metro drivers. Do
not tap the Senior SmarTrip card on the fare box because a fare will be deducted from the card.
- Buses are accessible to people with disabilities; they have wheelchair ramps or and can lower to the curb to make it easier for people to get on and off the bus.
- For Metrobus and Ride on Schedules call 311.
- Riders 65 and older can use a Senior SmarTrip card to travel free or at a discount on Metrorail, Metrobus, and Ride On.
- To buy a Senior SmarTrip card, visit a Montgomery County Public Library or Commuter Store. Bring proof of age (State ID, birth certificate or passport). A Senior SmarTrip card costs $2. There is no value on the card at the time of purchase - fare value may be added at Metro stations or Commuter stores.
- Call-n-Ride (CNR) provides discounted taxicab service to eligible low-income seniors (67 years and older), and adults with disabilities.
- Travel can be for any purpose within Montgomery County, and certain other designated areas for medical reasons.
- Call Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. for information or to apply.
The Senior Connection provides volunteer transportation.
The Senior Connection provides free escorted transportation services to seniors 60 and over through a growing network of volunteers. Rides are subject to the availability of drivers.
VillageRides helps local “villages” coordinate volunteer transportation.
Some communities work together to help their neighbors age in place. To find out if you live in an area served by VillageRides, call 301-255-4212.
Discover the County’s escorted transportation pilot program.
- Escorted transportation is available for adults who qualify based on income and disability. Customers contribute to the cost of the service based on income. Montgomery County funds this program through Jewish Council for the Aging's Connect-a-Ride program.
is available seven days a week.301-562-5360 (voice), 800-523-7009 (Toll Free)
- MetroAccess is a shared-ride, door-to-door service for people who generally cannot use public transportation due to a disability.
- Fares are two times the fastest comparable fixed-route fare, with a maximum fare of $6.50 per one-way trip.
- Riders may must schedule trips no later than 4:30 p.m. the day before the trip.
- Conditionally certified MetroAccess users can ride free on Metro-rail, Metrobus and Ride On.
- Applying for MetroAccess certification requires medical information and an in-person assessment. (A ride to the appointment is available if needed.) Call 202-962-2700 and press #5 for information about program eligibility.
- When it is not possible to reserve a MetroAccess ride before 4:30 pm the day before it is needed, Same Day Access program can help.
- Part of the Call-n-Ride program, Same Day Access provides discounted taxi service to certified MetroAccess participants. For information or to apply, call Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Medicaid recipients may be able to access transportation to medical appointments.
This service provides free transportation for Montgomery County Medicaid recipients who meet the screening requirements that indicate there is no other means of transportation available - or whose medical needs prevent them from using available transportation — for Medicaid-covered, medically necessary appointments.
Montgomery County provides free transportation recreation!
- Curb-to-curb transportation is available for County residents, 55 and over to senior centers and some community centers.
- This free service is for those living within the service areas of one of the centers.
- Rockville and Gaithersburg also provide limited transportation to their senior centers. In Rockville, call 240-314-8810. In Gaithersburg, call 301-258-6380 and press 5.
The Montgomery County Department of Recreation and the Jewish Council On Aging have entered into an agreement that will provide a combination of curb-to-curb and fixed route transportation, Mon- day-Friday, to the department’s five senior centers, beginning on January 14, 2014. County residents 55 and over are eligible for this program if theyare within the service area for one of the centers. Seniors not currently using county transportation may call their local senior center or 240-777-4980 for more information. Senior Centers in this pro- gram include: Damascus, Holiday Park, Schwein- haut, Long Branch and White Oak.
Five taxicab companies serve Montgomery County.
Ask about pre-paid taxicab accounts for seniors.
- Action Taxi -301-840-1000
- Barwood Taxi - 301-984-1900
- Orange Taxi - 301-912-0000
- Regency Cab - 301-990-9000
- Sun Cab - 301-252-0575
Remember the Montgomery County Help Line! 311 or 240-777-0311,
www.mc311.com Montgomery County government’s number for information about County government services is available Monday- Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Staff answer questions about County transportation and can transfer callers directly to Connect-A-Ride.
Alternative formats of this document are available upon request. Call Aging and Disability Services at 240-777-3000.
People with difficulty using standard phones are encouraged to use Maryland Relay 711 when contacting organizations listed.