image of outdoor FarmBrewery

In Montgomery County Agricultural zones (AR, R, RC and RNC) A brewery, cidery, distillery or winery can be permitted if:

  • The property is classified as agricultural by the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation.
  • The farm is registered with the Maryland Department of Agriculture (Soil Conservation District).
  • Product used in production of beverage must be grown on site.
  • The use is accessory to the working farm.
  • The production is licensed by the State Comptroller’s office and Alcohol Beverage Services.

Additional information

Onsite tasting room will require a Commercial Building Permit and a Use and Occupancy Permit.

Application for Farm Alcohol Production


Events are permitted on a case by case basis. To apply for events the owner or operator must submit a complete written business proposal including:

  • A Site Plan with delineated areas of active farm and event area.
  • Written description of how the active farm is being included during the event.
  • Date, time and approximate number of guests per event.


Submit the package to DPS: Attention Zoning Division, 255 Rockville Pike, 2nd Floor, Rockville, MD 20850. Zoning staff will evaluate the submission and respond to your request. A minimum of 10 days will be needed to review the submission. It’s advised to submit prior to booking any events. Once a submission is granted you will be able to continue events on an annual basis.