Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety Tips
- Stop for pedestrians at crosswalks and intersections- it's the law.
- Don't block crosswalks when stopping at intersections.
- Slow down and obey the posted speed limit.
- Take extra care around schools, playgrounds, and neighborhoods. Pedestrians are hit every 7 minutes each day.
- Always look out for pedestrians, especially before turning at a green light or making a "right turn on red."
- Obey speed limits, signs, signals and markings--and never run red lights.
- Be careful when passing stopped vehicles. They might be stopping for pedestrians.
- Allow 3 feet when passing bicyclists.
- Share the road. It's your responsibility to look out for others.
- Cross the street at marked crosswalks whenever possible.
- Stop and look every time before crossing streets, even when you have the right-of-way, and especially at intersections with "right turn on red."
- Before crossing, look left, right, then left again, and over your shoulder for turning vehicles.
- Begin crossing the street on "Walk" signals-never on a solid or flashing "Don't Walk."
- Use pedestrian pushbuttons to activate/extend the walk signal.
- Use sidewalks. If none, walk facing traffic so you see vehicles, and drivers see you.
- Make eye contact with drivers so they see you. Never assume they do.
- Stay visible after dark and in bad weather with reflectors or retroreflective clothing.
- Wear a properly fitted helmet. It can save your life.
- As a vehicle, you have the same rights and responsibilities as a motorist. Obey all traffic signals, signs and lane markings.
- Ride on the right side of the road with the flow of traffic-never against it.
- Pass slower moving or stopped vehicles on the left.
- Ride predictably and defensively. Use hand signals before turning.
- Stay visible, and use lights, reflectors and retro-reflective clothing when riding at night.
- Make eye contact with motorists and pedestrians before crossing paths with them.
- Always yield to pedestrians, even when turning, and especially at a "right turn on red" intersection.
- When cycling on sidewalks, always yield to pedestrians and give verbal warning when passing. Pass on left.
For any MCDOT service request or complaint, call 311
When dialing outside of the county, call 240-777-0311 or submit via their website.
For website comments or to report website problems or broken links, please email us. This email address does not handle service requests or complaints.
Director's Office · Montgomery County Department of Transportation
101 Monroe Street, 10th Floor · Rockville, Maryland 20850 · email@example.com
· telephone: 240-777-7170 · fax: 240-777-7178 ·