Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety Tips
- Stop for pedestrians at crosswalks and intersections- it's the law.
- Don't block crosswalks when stopping at intersections.
- Slow down and obey the posted speed limit.
- Take extra care around schools, playgrounds, and neighborhoods. Pedestrians are hit every 7 minutes each day.
- Always look out for pedestrians, especially before turning at a green light or making a "right turn on red."
- Obey speed limits, signs, signals and markings--and never run red lights.
- Be careful when passing stopped vehicles. They might be stopping for pedestrians.
- Allow 3 feet when passing bicyclists.
- Share the road. It's your responsibility to look out for others.
- Cross the street at marked crosswalks whenever possible.
- Stop and look every time before crossing streets, even when you have the right-of-way, and especially at intersections with "right turn on red."
- Before crossing, look left, right, then left again, and over your shoulder for turning vehicles.
- Begin crossing the street on "Walk" signals-never on a solid or flashing "Don't Walk."
- Use pedestrian pushbuttons to activate/extend the walk signal.
- Use sidewalks. If none, walk facing traffic so you see vehicles, and drivers see you.
- Make eye contact with drivers so they see you. Never assume they do.
- Stay visible after dark and in bad weather with reflectors or retroreflective clothing.
- Wear a properly fitted helmet. It can save your life.
- As a vehicle, you have the same rights and responsibilities as a motorist. Obey all traffic signals, signs and lane markings.
- Ride on the right side of the road with the flow of traffic-never against it.
- Pass slower moving or stopped vehicles on the left.
- Ride predictably and defensively. Use hand signals before turning.
- Stay visible, and use lights, reflectors and retro-reflective clothing when riding at night.
- Make eye contact with motorists and pedestrians before crossing paths with them.
- Always yield to pedestrians, even when turning, and especially at a "right turn on red" intersection.
- When cycling on sidewalks, always yield to pedestrians and give verbal warning when passing. Pass on left.
Click here for a printable copy of the tips (pdf)
Click here for StreetSmart tip sheets (pdf)