Safe Routes To School for Students
- Become a SRTS Ambassador
- SRTS Program Brochure (PDF)
- Walkability and Bikeability Checklists
Safe Routes to School needs students like you to help champion walking and biking! There are several ways you can get involved in your community and at your school and make a real difference. Whether you want to volunteer in a classroom setting or lead a fun ride or walk, there are plenty of ways you can help. Volunteers lead campaigns, organize bike and walk events, attend fairs and back to school nights, and assist with various other activities.
- Special Events: Lead the annual International Walk and Bike to School Day (October) event at your school, help organize and become trained in conducting bike rodeos, be a smiling face greeting parents and students as they arrive on special Walking and Wheeling Wednesdays, etc. These events often include extra opportunities for volunteers.
- Data Collection: Volunteer to conduct a site audit of a school's walking and biking environment. These site audits inform Safe Routes to School of the traffic dangers and safety hazards around schools which stand as barriers to safe commuting. This will enable the Safe Routes program to respond more effectively.
- Education Outreach: Help teach children the valuable skills and necessary information needed to be safe while walking and biking to school. Assist with pedestrian and bicycle education programs, lead a walking school bus or bike train at your school, write an article in the school newsletter on the benefits of walking and biking, guide families on community walks, etc.
For any MCDOT service request or complaint, call 311
When dialing outside of the county, call 240-777-0311 or submit via their website.
For website comments or to report website problems or broken links, please email us. This email address does not handle service requests or complaints.
Edison Park Office · Montgomery County Department of Transportation
100 Edison Park, 4th Floor · Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878 · firstname.lastname@example.org
· telephone: 240-777-7170 · fax: 240-777-7178 ·