Give a hand up. Not a hand out.
Cash handouts to panhandlers don’t work. Donate financially or give your time to organizations that help the homeless or those in need.
Donate to or get help from:
- Community Foundation for Montgomery County - an affiliate of The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region.
- Food Warehouses, Pantries and Soup kitchens - Montgomery County, MD - Disability Network Directory
- Services for the Needy and Homeless - clothing, legal aid, emergency assistance, crisis lines, health care, food, day programs, street outreach. Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless (PDF)
- Bethesda Cares - addresses the problems of the homeless. The site has information about their outreach programs.
- Interfaith Works - helps low-income & homeless neighbors move from crisis to stability through prevention, support, and empowerment.
- 100,000 Homes Campaign - Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless (MCCH) has been asked to be the lead agency for Montgomery County’s efforts in our local 100,000 Homes Campaign, a national movement of over 200 communities working to find permanent homes for 100,000 chronic and medically vulnerable homeless Americans by July 2014.
Volunteer your time:
- Volunteer Opportunities for Montgomery County 100,000 Homes Campaign Registry Week - November 3–8, 2013. Volunteer Online.
- Volunteers needed for the 3rd Annual Homeless Resource Day - Thursday, November 7, 2013
- Sign up online to volunteer at Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless
- Montgomery County Volunteer Center