Find Free Tax Help

Schedule an appointment


Appointments available for current year (2021), prior years (2018 - 2020), and amended returns.  In-person and virtual appointments available for Montgomery County residents with household incomes of $58,000 or less. 

New! Walk-in appointments are now available in Rockville on a first come, first served basis Tuesday - Thursday, 2 - 4 pm. 



Community Action Agency VITA 

Post-Tax Season Appointments

To schedule an appointment, please call 240-777-1123 or self-schedule HERE.

Schedule a tax appointment
Schedule Your Appointment Online

Community Action VITA is offering appointments for current year (2021), prior years (2018, 2019, and 2020), and amended returns.

Mondays and Fridays - Virtual appointments available 11 am - 5 pm

Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays - In-person appointments available 11 am - 5 pm in Rockville.
*Walk-in appointments available 2 - 4 pm Tuesday - Thursday in Rockville on a first come, first served basis.


Have you applied for the Renters' Tax Credit or Homeowners' Property Tax Credit?

VITA tax preparers can help eligible residents apply for the Renters' Tax Credit and the Homeowners' Property Tax Credit. The deadline to apply for both credits is September 30, 2022.

Download VITA Post-Season Flyers

English Post-Season VITA flyer
Spanish VITA Flyer
Amharic VITA Post Season Flyer
Chinese Post Season VITA Flyer French Post Season VITA Flyer Korean VITA Post Season Flyer
  Vietnamese VITA Post-Season Flyer  


Do you need information about your refund?
  • For questions about your federal tax refund, please visit the IRS website or call 1-800-829-1040. 
  • For questions about your Maryland refund, please visit the Online Services website or call 1-800-218-8160.
If you already had an appointment with Community Action VITA and need more information, please call 240-777-1123 or send email to


ITINs - Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers

All VITA sites serve taxpayers filing with ITINs.  Staff are available to help submit ITIN applications on Thursdays at Community Action VITA during the post-season (May - October).
Learn More! Download an IRS Presentation about ITINs and a Community Action presentation about the EITC and ITIN taxpayers *Both presentations updated in April 2022.
Frequently Asked Questions about ITINs

How is the format of an ITIN different from a SSN?

  • An ITIN begins with a “9” and the 4th and 5th digits are in the range of  “50-65”, “70-88”, “90-92” and “94-99”

Can some members of a family have a SSN while other members of the family have an ITIN?

  • Yes, for example, some members of a family are only eligible for an ITIN but may have children who were born in the U.S. and are therefore eligible for a SSN.

Who can apply for an ITIN?

  • Any alien, non-resident or resident who is required to file a U.S. federal tax return
  • An individual who will be claimed as an exemption or dependent
  • An individual who does not qualify for a SSN

What form is used to apply for an ITIN?

  • Form W-7 and Form W-7 (SP)

In general, what must accompany a completed ITIN application?

  • A valid U.S. federal income tax return
  • Supporting identification and, in some cases, residency documents

File your Taxes Online

Free Filing Software/IRS Questions: The IRS Free File provides free federal tax prep and e-file for taxpayers (income $72,000 or below). For toll-free tax help call 800-829-1040 for individual tax questions or 800-829-4933 for business tax questions. 
If you decide to use a commercial tax preparer, please  click here.

Low-Income Tax Payer Clinics

Low-Income Taxpayer Clinics are available for residents with legal questions about their taxes.
Maryland: University of Baltimore Taxpayer Clinic: 410-837-5706
University of Maryland Taxpayer Clinic: 410-706-3295
Washington, DC:
American University  Janet R. Spragens Federal Tax Clinic: 202-274-4000
University of the District of Columbia 202-274-7315
Catholic University Low Income Taxpayer Clinic  : 202-319-6788

What to Bring to Your Appointment:
  • A Social Security card and/or ITIN for EACH family member. We cannot use prior year files to verify Social Security number
  • A photo ID for each filer
  • W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2021
  • Child care provider name, address, and tax ID number or Social Security number
  • All banking account information (a voided check and/or savings deposit slip) to direct deposit your refund
  • A copy of last year’s tax return
  • Any document or information about money you have received from the IRS or state
  • All 1099 forms for other income, if any
  • Any other tax related documents you have received
  • If you are a victim of identity theft, you must bring the letter from the IRS with your PIN number. A new letter is issued from the IRS every year.
  • If you purchased health insurance through the Marketplace for 2021, through Medicare/Medicaid, or through your employer, you should receive a Form
  • 1095-A, B, and/or C. Please bring this form with you to complete your 2021  federal tax return.
  • If you have a Marketplace Exemption, please contact the Marketplace and get your Marketplace Exemption Certificate number to complete your 2021 federal ​ tax return.
  • If you are married and filing jointly, your spouse must be present. If you are married and filing separately, you need your spouse's name as spelled on his/her Social Security card and your spouse's Social Security number.

    Taking Public Transportation?

Resources from the IRS
  • Following major tax law changes, the IRS is urging taxpayers to use the   IRS Withholding Calculator to check their tax withholding and make sure they have the right amount of tax taken out of their pay for their personal situation. Having too little tax withheld could mean a tax bill or a penalty. And with the average refund topping $2,800, some may prefer to get more money in their pay now. The earlier people check, the more time there is for withholding to take place evenly during the rest of the year.  Additional information available in   English and   Spanish.
  • IRS   Tax Reform page
  • Subscribe now to IRS Tax Tips, which will include new  Tax Reform Tax Tips
  • Videos on the  IRS You Tube channel

Additional Resources
Maryland Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights & Consumer Guide ACA (Affordable Care Act) and Premium Tax Credits For coverage options, and financial help in Maryland:  click HERE or call 1-855-642-8572 
FDIC Money Smart for Small Businesses
Maryland Comptroller's Office
Additional Montgomery free tax info:  MC311 or call 311/ 240-777-0311/ TTY CALL MD RELAY 711.
Have any trouble filing your taxes? Please click  HERE.
Sign Language Interpretation: Contact Community Action at 240-777-1123 or call Gallaudet University VITA in DC at 202-540-8517 (VP) or 202-651-5312 (Voice).

Resource and Outreach Partners:

Community Action



Gaithersburg Maryland Extension


Gilchrist Center