If you are having difficulty paying your utility bills and/or are behind on payments, this page was created to help make paying those bills easier.

If you have immediate questions, call the MC311 Customer Service Center at 311 (or 240-777-0311), Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Governor Hogan extended the moratorium on utility shut offs and late fees through September 1, 2020

Governor Hogan has updated the emergency order regarding utilities (PDF). It continues to prohibit electric, gas, water, sewage, phone, cable TV, or internet service provider companies from shutting off any residential customer’s service or charging any residential late fees through September 1.

What does that mean?

It means that your utility bills and late fees will be due on September 1. If you have overdue bills, your utilities could be shut off.

What can you do?

If you have difficulty paying your electric, gas, and/or water utilities take these steps if you have received a shut-off notice or your service has been disconnected.


Contact your utility and request a bill payment extension or payment plan.

Here is a list of the utility companies, their websites, and their phone numbers. Contact them as soon as you think there is a problem so that they can help you. Wait times may be long since a lot of people will be contacting them. Try to stay on the line or call back often.

Utility Contact information
PEPCO Contact  PEPCO online or call 202-833-7500
BGE Contact  BGE online or call 800-685-0123
Potomac Edison Contact Potomac Edison online or call 1-800-686-0011
Washington Gas Contact  Washington Gas online or call 703-750-1000 (or 800-752-7520)
WSSC water Contact  WSSC online or call 301-206-4001
AT&T Contact  AT&T online or call 800-331-0500 (cell service) or 800-288-2020 (internet/TV service)
Comcast/Xfinity Contact  Comcast/Xfinity online or call 800-934-6489
RCN Internet/TV Contact  RCN online or call 800-746-4726
Sprint Contact  Sprint online or call 888-211-4727
Verizon/Fios Contact  Verizon online or call 800-837-4966

Check your eligibility for bill assistance

If you still need help paying your utility bill, contact the Maryland Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP). They provide utility grants and shut-off prevention to eligible households.

  • Paper applications, and a document drop box, are also available at 1301 Piccard Drive, 4th floor. Document drop-off boxes are also located at each of Montgomery County's  housing stabilization offices
  • Request phone appointments by calling 240-777-4450.

See more information on how to get help with your energy bills (PDF) in English and Spanish


You may file a complaint

If your utility denies your request, or only offers a plan that you believe is not reasonable, you have the right to file a complaint with the Consumer Assistance Division of the Public Service Commission (PSC/CAD).

  • File a complaint online.
  • If you are not able to fill out the form online, contact the Maryland People's Counsel at 410-767-8150 and leave a message with your name, your phone number, and some information about the problem you are facing. They will help you make a complaint to the PSC/CAD.

Need internet access?

Low-income families who live in a Comcast service area can sign-up for their Internet Essentials package. New customers will receive 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service

Sign up online. The accessible website also includes the option to video chat with customer service agents in American Sign Language.

Or, call 1-855-846-8376 (English) or 1-855-765-6995 (Spanish).