Pet Licensing

By law, dogs and cats over 4 months of age must wear current rabies and pet license tags. It can save your pet's life. An immediately visible license tag on your pet's collar is the fastest way to be reunited with your lost pet and is only issued with proof of regular vaccination against the deadly rabies virus. The rabies tag issued by your veterinarian is not your county license.

How do I obtain a County License?

Residents of the municipalities of Rockville City and Gaithersburg City must license their pets with their respective municipality.  For pet licensing information, Rockville City residents should call 240-314-8937 and Gaithersburg City residents should call 301-258-6343.

For Montgomery County residents, there are 3 different ways to obtain a pet license. If you have received a notice to comply from an Animal Services Officer, you must come in person with your notice to the shelter to obtain your pet license.

Please note that the mailing address for license renewals has changed. If you are submitting your renewal by mail, the addressed envelope now reads Montgomery County MD Government Lockbox #82-9440 Philadelphia, PA 19182-9440.


Online - 2 weeks to receive

Payment type: Credit card

If you wish to obtain a license online, please visit this website. You will need:

  • A digital copy of your pet's rabies certificate.
  • Credit card

Once you complete the online forms, you will receive your license by mail in approximately 2 weeks. 

By Mail - 2 weeks to receive

Payment type: Check or money order

To obtain a license by mail, please print and complete this  application. The application must include a copy of your pet's rabies certificate and method of payment. Please mail to: 

Montgomery County MD Government
Office of Animal Services - Pet Licensing
7315 Muncaster Mill Rd
Derwood, MD 20855

Once your application has been received and processed, you will received your license by mail in approximately 2 weeks.


In Person - On the spot

Payment type: Cash, check, or credit card

The only way to obtain a license immediately is to visit our facility in person. In-person pet licensing is by appointment only.
Schedule an appointment.
To purchase a license, please bring:

  • Copy of rabies certificate
  • Method of payment

Please leave your pets at home.

If your dog or cat is allergic to the rabies vaccine, per your veterinarian, an exemption is required. An exemption request must be submitted and is considered by the State Veterinarian on a case by case basis. If approved, you would bring that document to MCASAC to purchase your County Pet License. In any event, a Pet License is required and a rabies vaccination certificate or an exemption certificate must be provided.  For more information, click here.

We also offer free Rabies Vaccination Clincs several times throughout the year.

Free Rabies Vaccination Clinics

** Note for Unaltered Pet Owners:
  • If your unaltered pet received a 1-year rabies vaccination, you must purchase a 1-year pet license.
  • If your unaltered pet received a 3-year rabies vaccination, you must purchase a 3-year pet license. Sending in a 1-year license fee with a 3-year rabies vaccination will result in your application being returned for correct payment.