Single-Family, Townhome and Condominium License Procedures

Go to Multi-Family Properties or Accessory Dwelling Units



Who must be licensed?

​​Montgomery County Code Chapter 29 requires all residential and multifamily property owners obtain a rental housing license before their property may be rented or advertised for rent.

What is required to receive a Rental Housing License?

  • Complete online Rental Housing License Application (requires AccessMCG account)
    • Complete all contact information for owner(s), Administrative Agents or Management Contacts
    • Corporation Owners must include all contact information for General Partner(s) with at least 5% interest in corporation.
    • Trusts Ownerships must include all contact information for Trustee(s).
    • Owners who live outside of Maryland or who use a P.O. Box must designate a Legal Agent who lives in Maryland for service of process.
  • Maryland Lead Poisoning Compliance is required for properties built before January 1, 1978
    • Annual MDE Registration for Tracking Number
    • Lead Poisoning Inspection Certificate
  • Newly purchased properties must include HUD-1 form or Settlement Sheet with new owners' name(s).
  • Pay annual license fee for each year or partial year property is rented
  • Owners cannot be more than 30 days past due on homeowners or condominium association fees

What if I forgot something or need to update my application?

Are there penalties for renting without a License?

  • Any person who operates a rental property without obtaining a License is subject to a class A violation and may have to pay $500 civil fines as a penalty.

Do I have to apply online?

  • Applying online is the fastest and easiest way to obtain a rental license.
  • If you are unable to apply online, you may print a hardcopy of the Rental License Application from our website.
  • Complete all application information, attach required supporting documents and include a check or money order with the rental license fee and mail to:

DHCA Licensing and Registration, 1401 Rockville Pike, 4th Floor, Rockville, MD  20850

What if I have more questions?

  • See Frequently Asked Questions or contact Licensing and Registration, via Montgomery County's MC311 service, at 311 (within Montgomery County) or (240) 777-0311.